HomeDocumentationHistorical NotesWhat did Father Josemaria think of Franco and his activities during the Spanish Civil War?
What did Father Josemaria think of Franco and his activities during the Spanish Civil War?
None of the people who lived with Father Josemaria during the Spanish Civil War could recall ever hearing him saying anything about Franco, not even a passing comment on his military or political actions. What Father Josemaria did say many times over was that he desired with all his strength to see an end to the war and all the killings and hatred. He longed for a time when ordinary citizens and the Church could regain their freedom and when the Church could resume her pastoral work unhindered. One of the people who knew him at that time said, “His balanced approach to events that were affecting everyone so seriously was quite amazing (…) He was never judgmental, never expressed anger or hatred towards anyone (…) He suffered over what was being done (…) And when the rest of us were celebrating a victory, Don Josemaria just kept quiet.” José Luis Rodríguez-Candela.
Pedro Casciaro was a member of Opus Dei and the son of a Provincial President of the Popular Front. He recalled that Father Josemaria “never talked about politics. He wanted, and prayed for, peace and freedom of consciences. He had a big heart and was open to everyone, and with all his heart he longed for everyone to come back to God.”
List of Contents
- Is it true that another priest was killed by mistake for Father Josemaria Escriva?
- Why did Father Josemaria go into hiding?
- How did Father Josemaria exercise his priesthood during the Spanish Civil War?
- How and why did Father Josemaria decide to escape across the Pyrenees Mountains?
- Why Burgos?
- Which side were Opus Dei members on in the Spanish Civil War?
- What did Father Josemaria think of Franco and his activities during the Spanish Civil War?
- What contact did Father Josemaria have with the Franco regime?
- What did Father Josemaria say about the reprisals carried out by Franco’s followers during the Spanish Civil War?
- What did Father Josemaria think of Hitler and the Nazis?